out of egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and i shake the dirt from my sandals as i run

Friday, October 13, 2006

new cds

A lot of people say they like summer because they don't care about sounding cliche, but I prefer the fall, because that's when all the good movies and CDs come out, and because I burn very easily. But this post isn't about sunburns or movies, even though you should see the Departed because it is the sheet.

If you read other music blogs, you've probably already heard a ton about these albums. You're just here for the free mp3s. Fine, I can't stop you.


The Decemberists - The Crane Wife


Generally it's exciting when a band you like comes out with a new album, but sometimes it can feel like a hassle - you like this band, so maybe you feel like you owe it to them and to yourself to get their new album. But then you have to track it down, go out and buy it or download it or get it from a friend, then listen to it, get familiar with it and internalize it, and the truth is that you don't always feel like doing all that.

I was reminded of that when I perfunctorily bought the new Rapture album, which hasn't wowed me, and I thought of it again last week when this came out. Mostly I thought about how I wasn't especially hyped about a new set of songs that use archaic words like "chimbley" and "legionnaire." But I got it anyway, and what I forgot is that I love this band simply because they write really pretty songs. The song below is about a Japanese man whose wife turns into a crane, but who cares.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife 3



Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor


This leaked a few months ago, hyped to impossibility, and got delayed multiple times before it actually came out last month. I hesitated to buy it because I already had the leaked version, but it was a good gamble because the official release is significantly different; new song titles, new songs, more guests, etc. And it's really good. By the end of the first track he's already laid down his philosophy for life, and it's a good one.

Unfortunately, the excellent Trials and Tribulations from the leaked version has morphed into a new track called "Pressure," which now has a verse by Jay-Z about (surprise!) how good a rapper he is, and a chorus that goes (seriously), "it's my life, everything I do I do for you." Also there's a shitty track that sounds like linkin park. But other than that, honestly, it's very very good. I'm stating the obvious, but there really is no greater guilty pleasure than listening to rap music on your ipod in a public place where everyone thinks you are just a REGULAR WHITE GUY.

Lupe Fiasco - Just Might Be OK



The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America


This came out a week ago and there's already a backlash against it, partly because of all the "album of the year" and "anthem for a generation" drool it's already gotten, but mostly because of its almost-perfect pitchfork review. But don't forget that for something to inspire a backlash it has to be good in the first place (exception: Garden State). The main problem people have with the album is that it basically bites Springsteen. But I'm 23, I don't know from Bruce, and as always, if you're going to steal, steal from the best.

The album is 40 minutes long but it feels much shorter, which is a good sign. It makes me want to get drunk, which is a good sign. It inspires a lot of air guitar, which is a great sign. And before the internet, you would've just had to take my word for it. Isn't that super?

The Hold Steady - Massive Night

8 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Mottram said...

Sure, I appreciate the mp3s, but the words were good too. Thanks, man.

10/15/2006 8:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same. It was a fun read. I was only familiar with the Decemberists cd, the mini reviews were interesting to read. Thanks.

10/16/2006 10:20 AM

 
Blogger Dave R said...

But Adam that track really sounds like a Linkin Park track, like a lot, and I'm just not ready to let that slide.

DQ

10/17/2006 5:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but dave, that goddawful track IS produced by mike shinoda of linkin park fame, so at least its not stealing its terrible sounds.

10/20/2006 12:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think allowing someone so closely associated with Linkin Park to touch your music is equally horrible to stealing from Linkin Park's sound. So your point is moot.

They must be held accountable for their actions!

10/20/2006 4:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of movies coming out in the fall, I just read the review for JAAN-E-MAAN. Did you get to go to the premiere? Will they ever put you on the imdb page?

10/21/2006 1:02 PM

 
Blogger adam said...

how prescient, katey! I'm going tonight! stay tuned.

10/21/2006 1:05 PM

 
Blogger myk said...

Thanks for posting those songs. I was gonna write about the same three albums in my last post, but you did the work for me. Now, I'll just refer my friends to this post.

These three albums are phenomenal, by the way.

10/26/2006 8:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home