out of egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and i shake the dirt from my sandals as i run

Monday, July 17, 2006

the girl talk game

I had a Five Songs post ready for today, but there's better shit going on in the universe. I'll do it later.

today's pitchfork has a review of the new full-length by girl talk - they claim it "detonates" everything anyone knew about mashups. what they mean is that instead of using two or three or four songs in a single mashup, girl talk uses somewhere between twenty and a billion, depending on the track.

now, I'm as annoyed as the next guy by any artist that pitchfork takes it upon itself to crown the nextbigthang. and I resent their calls for the death of the old-school mashup. fuck yall. BUT - I find this stuff eminently listenable. it's fun, and hilarious, and skillfull as hell, and it's also kind of a new game.

most of the thrill of mashups, for me, comes from the reveal - the moment when you realize what the other song is, or how they're juxtaposing and aligning one's chorus with another's bridge. you know, the "OH NO HE DIDN'T" moment. on a girl talk track, there are fifty reveals per song, more each time you listen. as the pitchfork review notes, trying to guess every sample is a fruitless game - but it's a game nonetheless. a good one.


girl talk - hold up
here's what I can get: ludacris - number one spot. fitty - in da club. pixies - where is my mind. nas - hate me now. d4l - laffy taffy. weezer - say it ain't so. there must be 15 more.

girl talk - bounce that
lcd soundystem, breeders, britney (I think), elastica? (this one is harder.)

anyway, good luck

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

hold up: starts w/ james taylor! thank you my parents for years of jt greatest hits indoctrination.

7/17/2006 3:24 PM

 
Blogger adam said...

oh my god you're right.

attention mashup DJs: more james taylor over hip-hop beats PLEASE

7/17/2006 3:28 PM

 
Blogger Brian said...

why didn't you list Rumpshaker by Wreckx-N-Effect as one of the songs in Bounce That? I think that's one of the more recognizable ones. It also has the best "best slash worst slash best again" video ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKKONgfNONU

7/21/2006 3:25 PM

 
Blogger Hector Savage said...

It's actually quite horrible, aesthetically speaking. It's actually the genius of "The Grey Album" taken to its most illogical and least creative extreme.

8/06/2006 4:45 PM

 
Blogger adam said...

i'll get you for this, hector savage!!!

8/06/2006 10:44 PM

 
Blogger katie b said...

The 80s riff at the beginning is "Got To Be Real" by Jordan Hill, I think. For some reason no one on soulseek has it so I can't double check (even though it's prominently featured on the Keeping the Faith soundtrack). The girl at the end is Ciara. The song with the synth-sax solo that starts at 1:23 is "Jump for my Love" by the Pointer Sisters.

8/12/2006 6:37 PM

 
Blogger Ben said...

once again, the internet ruins everybody's good time and self-esteem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Ripper

8/18/2006 11:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home