out of egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and i shake the dirt from my sandals as i run

Friday, December 22, 2006

Top 10 Albums of 06: #1



















Girl Talk - Night Ripper

Here's what I learned this week. I am not a rock critic.

Let's just say I bit off more than I could chew by promising to write up one Best Album a day. One: I'm not a good enough writer to churn out something that doesn't suck every day, and I don't have the extra down time to make up for it. Two: I'm not a good enough judge of artistic merit to put together a credible list. At some point my aesthetic filter breaks down, and this is that point.

Unfortunately for the blogosphere, a countdown turns out to be more fun to read and write than something maybe more coherent. So fuck if I'm totally unqualified to be in charge here. 90% of the people "reading" this page aren't even going through these paragraphs, they're just skipping down to the song they're looking to download. A well-regarded, or well-read, or even read music blog, this is not. So: do I think Night Ripper is the best album of the year? Eh. Was it my favorite album of the year? Well, yeah. Yeah, definitely.

Truthfully, I generally fucking hate it when people end their best-of countdowns with Bold Statements - the dude who ends his all-time-classic-movie list with #3 Citizen Kane, #2 Casablanca and #1 "Ojos de la Luna," a little-known foreign Gem from 1974 that apparently has "the most beautiful cinematography man has ever created." You, my imaginary example friend, should get out more.

But that's not how I roll. I promise! Well maybe. Listen: Girl Talk gets the trophy not because it's the Best Ever, but because it's simply absolutely astonishing in a way that nothing else this year was. The first time I heard the Hold Steady album I turned to Josh Kesner and said "this is good. This is really, really, really good." The first time I heard this album, I yelled "holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" repeatedly. It's not greater than or less than - there should really be two different lists. But there aren't.

So yeah. This is an album of mashups. An album of one long string of mashups. The line between "gimmicky" and "a work that stands on its own" is thin these days, as anyone who didn't put the Pipettes on their top 10 will tell you. But it's December and I'm still listening to this album, theoretically loud enough to drown out the protests of the people in the back seat of my car asking "can we listen to a real song now??" And it still amazes me.

So finally, America, let me hear you say: hey, we want some puss-ay.

See you in 07.


Download: Peak Out

buy it.

seacrest out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Funny that you're so modest about your ability to write an entertaining music blog, because after reading through the rest of it yesterday all I could think of was how damn funny and awesome it was and that you could VERY easily be writing for a site where you'd, you know, be paid.

12/22/2006 11:55 AM

 
Blogger adam said...

thanks caroline!

and in case you're wondering: yes, caroline was paid handsomely to write that comment.

12/22/2006 12:23 PM

 
Blogger katie b said...

hearing the countdown from Holland 1945 used as a mashup beat for the first time was my favorite thing of the year. "2007: wait till you see my dick."

12/24/2006 8:46 PM

 
Blogger Dave R said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/28/2006 2:21 PM

 
Blogger Dave R said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/28/2006 2:25 PM

 
Blogger KESNERSTER@gmail.com said...

the previous two comments by matt nathanson have been deleted due to their anti-mashup content.

12/30/2006 12:11 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah agreed, best album of the year. -jon

2/02/2007 1:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home